Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Focus on the Good

Today my morning started out good. I woke up early, before the boys, to have a cup of coffee and relish in some quiet time. This is normally how I begin my day. I logged on to Facebook and started to sip on my coffee . . . Hmmm. I came across a video of Nicholas & Noah that was posted by my cousin. It made me smile, it actually made me laugh out loud. And I thought to myself . . . today is going to be a good day.

Fast forward to getting Noah ready for his Jr. Sports Program. Talk about some attitude issues. There was a whole lot of whining and crying and pleading. It wasn’t about going, it was about what he was wearing. Yes, you read it correctly. It was about what he was wearing. I simply didn’t have time for his antics and I certainly didn’t want his attitude influence my happy mood. So I just said to him, “Listen Noah go to your room until you’re done with your meltdown. You’re wearing those pants whether you like it or not. It’s cold and it’s raining. If you continue to act like you are you can change out of those pants and we just won’t go.” Done. I was done. It simply wasn’t up for discussion. So that was his choice.

We made it to his sports program. And all was well. It was a good time. He had so much fun and I had so much fun watching and rooting him on. It was all good.

On our way home I got to thinking, thinking about Noah’s happy energy that came from his sporting activity. He so easily forgot about what he was wearing, what had caused him to have a not-so-good moment. I thought to myself, “There are so many good moments throughout my day. So many more than the not-so-good.” I’m talking about the small every day moments that are a part of my day.  The moments that get overlooked. I decided that I was going to focus on the good stuff, the everyday good stuff.



A quick and healthy breakfast.  Vanilla yougurt topped with oats & honey granola!


This smile.  His happiness is infectious!


A break in the clouds.  Enough to stop the constant drizzle during Noah's practice. 


This toy.  It's been put up for awhile.  Having it out again made it seem like a new toy.  It gave me 10 minutes to spare; to clean up the breakfast mess we made and make some brunch for Noah.  A good 10 minutes indeed!


Feeding Noah is fun.  He's not a picky eater.  One of his favorites is round eggs, aka boiled eggs.  He eats it like his mama, with salt & pepper.  I love that he likes turkey bacon too. 


This moment in the day melted my heart.  While he was eating I said to him, "When you're done eating you'll have to wash your hands and meet me up in your room for a quick story before nap.  Mama has to sweep up the floor."  While I was taking his plate to the sink I turned around to find him doing this.  What a sweet, sweet boy!


Marinated grilled chicken.  I love that I planned my meals ahead of time, making it less stressful for me to get dinner on the table.


Nicholas reading to Noah.  Don't be fooled though; he wasn't animated while reading and I had to tell him not to read to fast or skip any pages.  But the point here is, he sat with his brother and read to him.  It was probably my favorite "good moment" of the day. 


Homemade cookies made by yours truly :0)  These always make my boys happy.  And I love making them happy!

The good moments in my day, the good stuff!

1 comment:

  1. You are such an amazing woman! Reading your daily goings on makes me want to be a better Mother and wife. One day, I will plan out our family meals and actually make it!! Lol. I know I dont say it often enough but you are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete